Thursday, December 29, 2011

Miniature Christmas Trees

This year I strived to make, instead of buy, as many Christmas presents for my family as possible. The kicker is coming up with things that you can make and the recipient will use and appreciate. So I came up with 3 projects: decorative christmas trees for my mother-in-law, fire starters for my dad, and snow globes for the grandparents. 

Christmas Trees

What you need:
Paper
Spray paint
Wooden sticks (You can use a stick from a tree, or go to Hobby Lobby and find something in their craft section)
Wooden stand that the wooden sticks will fit into
Cardboard
Glue

I got this idea from some paper trees I saw at Anthroplogie. My sister got me some BEAUTIFUL handmade paper from India when she lived there last summer, so it was the perfect way for me to use that. You cut out all the sizes you will need, starting with big pieces for the bottom of the tree and ending with small pieces for the top. Then cut out small pieces of cardboard to put between your paper in order to give it more of a stacked look

Cut your wooden stick to the size that you want your trees to be, then take the wooden stick and wooden stand and spray paint them (I used gold). If you would like a pointed top on your tree you can carve it out easily with a knife. You could also decorate the top with yarn, an ornament, or even a succulent would be cute and unique! Glue the stick inside of the stand.

Cut holes in the middle of your paper, and shimmy down the spray painted stick going from the biggest pieces to the smallest, putting cardboard every few pieces.

I made this for my mother-in-law and she really enjoyed them! They make cute Christmas decorations, and you could do a whole fleet of them for the fire place mantel or counter and it would look awesome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment